Its that time of year- too many zukes and patty pan squash – I made this Low Sugar Chocolate Zucchini Cake for my sons’ 21 B’day – remarkably like fudgy brownies and hugely delicious. Not too sweet since I reduced the original King Arthur recipe’s sugar requirement
Uses 3 cups shredded Zucchini
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup All-Purpose Baking Cocoa or Dutch-process cocoa
- 2 teaspoons decaf coffee, optional but tasty
- 3 cups shredded zucchini or patty pan squash
- Set oven to Preheat at 350degrees
- Spray a 9″ x 13″ or 12 in round pan with PAM cooking spray
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, oil, sugar, vanilla, buttermilk and salt until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Mix in the zucchini
- Stir together n the baking soda, baking powder, and the flour, then stir into the oil mixture above
- Add the cocoa and espresso powder, mixing until smooth.
- Then pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top springs back lightly when touched, and it seems set.
- or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven, Cool on a rack.
- Yield: 24 servings.
- 1 pint whipped cream plus ¼ cup cocoa powder plus ¼ cup sugar and 3tablespoons hot water to dissolve cocoa – then chill prior to adding to whipped cream
Recipe compliments of Spring Hill Cottage enjoy visiting our vacation rental cottage in Grass Valley CA